Any kitty caretaker will tell you, it’s tough enough to raise money to help feed Baltimore’s street colonies, let alone find funding to address their medical and dental care. Currently, that job falls on a handful of angels who are already stretched to the max donating their time and money to provide basic care for kitties that have been dumped by their families or born into a life on the streets. To address this need, Show Your Soft Side is setting aside $100,000 annually to provide medical assistance for feral, stray, and community cats in the Baltimore area. Please review the guidelines below and submit the application.
In 2019, Show Your Soft Side (SYSS) created a Medical Assistance Fund to assist community cat caretakers living in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area with extraordinary medical expenses for feral, stray, and community cats. Please read these guidelines before submitting an application for funding.
- If you suspect a feral, stray or community cat has been the victim of animal abuse, immediately call 311 or your local animal control. If you witness a cat being abused, call 911 immediately.
- The SYSS Street Kitty Medical Fund (Fund) is limited to feral, stray, and community cats who will be returned to their colonies and have a caretaker. The Fund will not be used to treat cats that either have homes, live indoors/outdoors, or have been accepted into a shelter or rescue program and are awaiting adoption.
- The Fund will pay for emergency and/or urgent care necessary to alleviate suffering and/or improve the quality of life for community cats. Funding requests for routine care, such as spay/neuter surgeries, vaccinations, combo testing, deworming, flea treatments, etc. will not be considered.
- Funding decisions will only be considered prospectively and with partner veterinarians*. We will discuss with you your options for emergency care, dental procedures and surgeries. Please do not contact us after making an appointment with your personal veterinarian, as these requests will not be considered.
- Prior to any veterinary care being rendered, please confirm that the treating veterinarian has scanned any cat for a microchip. Show Your Soft Side cannot cover medical treatment for owned cats.
- The maximum disbursement for any individual cat is $1,000. Disbursements will be made directly to veterinary hospitals after funding has been approved and treatment is scheduled. Disbursements are never paid directly to individuals.
- Given the high volume of requests, SYSS utilizes a team of Board members to respond to medical fund requests on a rotating schedule. We ask that you not contact individual Board members except in a true emergency. Please note that most requests submitted after 9 pm will not be reviewed until the following morning.
- SYSS will use its best efforts to allocate funds responsibly each year. SYSS reserves the right to deny funding for any reason, including failure to comply with these guidelines, but will not discriminate on the basis of race, age, gender, or religion of applicants.
*Partner veterinarians include Aardmore Animal Hospital, Academy Animal Hospital, Animal Birth Control, LLC, Carney Animal Hospital, Cat Sense Feline Hospital, Everhart Animal Hospital, Everhart WellPet Center, Homeward Bound Veterinary Services, Howard County Animal Hospital, Metro Ferals/Green Acres Pet Center, Timonium Animal Hospital, Urgent Vet Care Cockeysville, Warm and Fuzzy Animal Hospital, Vinson Animal Hospital and You’ll Never Walk Alone.
Funding Request Form
All fields marked “*” are required.